May 17, 2007

I was thinking

Should blogging be a collection of information we like or should it be a confirmation of our existence.
While at the beginning my decision was skewed on one side, because I thought that using a blog to discuss about info already collected somewhere else was multiplication of information. After all you could just add additional insights in wikipedia, so why dislocate your opinion somewhere else?
However a blog is a sort of a present to other people: the memoirs of a human being different from you. But to fully understand their personality you also need to know what are they interested in, what's their opinion on particular matters, you have to u nderstand the context in which they live and were brought up.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My blog's just a collection of random crap that happened to be playing in my mind at any one time. Which means it's obsessed with sex, and has too much about trains and films. And not much else.

Not sure I could manage a Philosophy of Blogging. And, if I wrote mine, even I wouldn't be interested in reading it!

Anonymous said...

Oh: I don't seem to be able to leave comments on your cyberwar post, so I'll have to comment here, instead.

I spent a bit of time a couple of years ago thinking about the changing nature of warfare, prompted by what I thought was, effectively, a US war on Cuba. How far can economic action be classified as warfare? How many people must die as a result of it before it is regarded as an aggressive, hostile action? This is alongside a new penchant for wars on nouns (drugs) or even on states of mind (terror).

I don't think we've yet begun to understand the sheer diversity of possible future hostilities, in a world that is made more vulnerable by its very connectedness. Estonia may well be a beginning of a new understanding, whether or not it turns out to be a deliberate act of state aggression.