Apr 22, 2007

And then there was Easter

Oh yes..
Sicily = Saturday to Saturday.
I won't bore you with the numerous phone calls, dinners, lunches and visits to friends. The biggest issue is that everybody wants their personal space with me. My plan of booking a table for 20 and answer the marriage and kid questions all at once wasn't accepted as a polite thing to do.

Gina was more hyperactive than usual, then I wonder why I never sleep.
Hence she wakes up at 5 and goes for a run, all the police cars, the rubbish bin collectors and grocery shops of the area know her, most of all, as the nutter that runs in the early hours of the morning, some of them as the little lady that jumps the queue because she's always in a hurry.
Well yes, you need to know that if Gina enters a shop and she doesn't get immediate attention, she will just leave. If patience has never been my virtue, then Gina's never made an appearance in the course of her life, well or since I know her.

I went running with her, one afternoon, in the middle of the woods with wild rabbits crossing the paths and angry dogs following us. Street dogs have always concerned me and it amazes me that Sicily must be the only region in the civilised world, to still have such a huge number trotting around.
She runs with a stone in her hand, just in case they attack..
In one of these episodes Gina took Pina for a run in the woods.
While Gina was comfortably dressed, Pina was just over from a meeting hence with tight skirt, jacket and summery high heeled shoes.
Ater about one hour, they were tired so they decided to take a shortcut. There was a very steep hill, Pina rolled her skirt up but still wasn't enough and her shoes were slipping, hence Gina said I push you. And there you go, Pina with hands on the wall and Gina pushing her ass up.
I have been searching the web to find a cartoon or a picty to depict it, but I didn't succeed.. Hope you can visualise that. In case refer to prefer Gina & Pina's episodes.

I forgot to tell you, Gina loves flowers and fruit. Especially stealing them.
I stopped her from stopping the car in the emergency lane on the motorway, to climb up the wall and "collect" some flowers. But nothing I could to avoid her climbing in somebody' s garden to get a huge bunch of flowers with which she just kept walking on the street.
The dog almost attacked me ( on the street, still waiting for Gina) and her ( head to toes in the garden pulling away- with the owners just inside the overlooking house)
I asked.. Mum, what if they came out ? what would you have said?
Gina: Well... that as I saw many flowers in the garden and I assumed they didn't like to collect them, and you can't just leave those beautiful flowers there. Can you?
I'm glad they didn't ask.
These flowers are so beautiful that when you get married I'll fill the church of them. errr...



I also saw pollo & polla ... as they were going to an outrageous wedding ( with tons of roses and a photo service comparable to a film set).
Ah yes and I also bought a pair of roller blades, so if you want to join me for a stroll, feel welcome.
And Pina rescued me from the diet with swordfish kebabs ( braciolettine di pescespada) with bay leaves bbqued on the spot.

Remember Federica?
These are her latest creations.

14 comments:

albeo said...

I love your mum. Now we know why you are so mad!

MicNic said...

I love that your Madre goes running.
Who would play her in a telemovie?

FKJ said...

ok...........lady v the time as come for us to take sic up on that offer and trek to the nether region............g&t in hand. to meet g&p


go on.......
we'll be the "beards" ahem

bogart said...

ahah.. i don't know.. What movie character could Gina be? Pod this is your subject!
still can't find picty of somebody giving leg up the wall so you can imagine the tale properly!

Lady V said...

Bloody hell! I know, let's get all our mothers, lock them in a room with 17 bottles of gin and 2 of tonic, plus ice and lemons, natch, and leave them to draw their own conclusions.... We film it, natch. After 24 hours we open the door to see who survived. Bets, anyone?

Please can we have a trip to Sicily, please! I'll wear heels and pick flowers, I promise. Mama won't guess a thing!

FKJ said...

a/ guarantee tiz will be the sole survivor in that panic room scenario. it will be a battle to the last tit but...

b/ sicily: when and how. i plan on being outrageous.

c/ gina in a tv movie. frankly i want to wait before giving definitive answer until i meet the little frisky devil. but am thinking, off the cuff. SALLY FIELD.

MicNic said...

Sorry, Sally field is already playing the part of my mum.

FKJ said...

darling sally field is playing everyone's mum these days.....

bogart said...

Brilliant.. let's do the expedition.
Girls go awol in sicily..
When?

bogart said...

I shall start drafting the list of no to dos.
Err.. pointless right? moderation will disappear quickly..

Unfortunately, the rule you must abide to is that when you arrive, you have to be prepared to be asked for the clothes you'r wearing so they can be washed.

We need camera and videocamera. It's like living in a parallel planet.

Pod you will be reporting, Lady V you are looking for inspiration for your next book. M will snap the shots. Lady V I suspect you'll learn to eat meat.

Lady V said...

Bring it on! I can eat meat if it's a question of politeness. You know me.

And I LOVE having my washing done for me. Bring it on.

Can we go when it's hot so I can get a tan? Feeling pasty.

FKJ said...

can i bare my breasts?

you know it's no fun if i have to keep my top on.

can we get high with g&p?

can we dive for ricci?

will your mother teach us sicilian sayings?

i'll you now. i refuse to run.

FKJ said...

ps i won't eat

but i'll throw stones at strays

ps can maude come too?


she's one of the girls.

bogart said...

errrrrrr...